Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kokrobite

So I have seen lots and lots of beautiful places so far, but one of my favorite places to go, perhaps my favorite place in Ghana, is Kokrobite. Imagine you are on vacation with some really good friends. You go somewhere exotic like Hawaii or Mexico where there’s tons of palm trees, bars under tiki huts, a calm quiet atmosphere, and an incredible beach. Only you’re really in Ghana. And you’re a student. And everything is super cheap. And locals are really friendly (or sometimes creepy friendly and ask for your phone number right away, but you get use to it). Kokrobite is so much fun I have been there twice already and am going back soon.
It’s about an hour and a half journey from the university, although it took 4 hrs last Friday because of the ridiculous traffic. We usually take a couple different tro-tro’s and a taxi or two to get there. I’m not sure but I think Kokrobite is the name of the actual town that the “resort-like” area is in. So we have to walk through the village after being dropped off at the tro-tro stop. It’s pretty nice. Everyone is really friendly and says hello. The actual tourist spot to stay is called Big Milly’s Backyard. It’s like a low-key resort with an out-door bar, a beachside restaurant, a mixed-drink bar (very very good), guest cabins and loft, vendors, and a stage for Friday night traditional drumming & dance and Saturday night reggae. With the vendors, what is so nice is how chill they are. They are not pushy and will usually give good prices if you speak Twi with them. The food- probably the best part. The restaurant next to the beach, Big Milly’s, serves great breakfast and amazing dinner (you even have to order dinner in advance earlier in the day). But even better is a place right outside the Backyard called Kokrobite Gardens. It’s an Italian restaurant. I’m not talkin’ American-Italian. I mean full Italian-Italian. The owner is an Italian man who has lived here a while. There I have had some of the best pizza, pasta, cake, and Sicilian wine ever.
What’s funny is that there’s always tons of obroni’s (white people) there. Usually American students from the university or Europeans who are volunteering or are on vacation. Financially it surprises me because it’s completely free to enter the Backyard and enjoy the beach. I guess all the tourists drive away the interest of locals. Oh well. I like this place so much I devoted a whole blog post to it, which are becoming worth more and more as I have written less and less of them. I should really pick up the slack. Anyway, there you have it. Kokrobite.

No comments:

Post a Comment